Assault on Marion
About Assault on Marion
The Assault on Marion is a 74.2-mile self-paced ride starting from Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium in downtown Spartanburg, South Carolina and ending at Tom Johnson Rally Park Pavilion in Marion, NC.
The Assault on Marion began in 1994 to allow more cyclists to participate with those riding to Mt. Mitchell. Although it does not include the 28-mile trek to the top of the mountain, this event is as enjoyable and engaging as any around with its rolling hills, multiple climbs, and compelling North Carolina scenery. It is a wonderful challenge for any cyclist, regardless of their skill and experience.
The Assault on Marion presented by Greenville Health System will be held on Monday, May 14, 2018.
January 1 – April 15: $50 | April 16 – May 13: $55
- Packet pick-up will take place on Sunday, May 13, 2018, from 1:00 PM – 8:00 PM at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. You will be able to drop off a small dry clothes bag during Packet pick-up that will be transported to Marion.
- Race Start will be Monday, May 14, 2018, at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, 385 North Church Street at 6:30 am, sharp!
- Parking: Parking is available in the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium lot.
- Rest Stops: Riders along the route are supported with 10 rest stops that offer food, beverage, first aid kits and toilets. Please reference the Cue Sheet for specific locations and note that stop #5, the finish for Marion riders, is a self-service water and snack stop.
- SAG & Tech Support: SAG and Tech volunteers are available along the route to provide assistance for riders. Not all volunteers have experience with bike repair but will work to get your assistance. Vehicles typically carry a cell phone, tubes, air and minor first aid kits. There will be bike techs along the route, but they may not be stationed where you break down and are not guaranteed to have the exact items you may need. If you need special chains, tubes etc. be sure to carry them with you. Cell phone service may be sporadic in areas. Please come prepared.
- Post Ride: Upon finishing, riders will have access to food and beverage and changing stations. Buses will transport riders off the Mountain to the Tom Johnson Campground to enjoy post-ride festivities and further final destination transport options.
- Refunds: We cannot offer refunds or credit a registration fee towards next year’s event, no exceptions. However, it is possible for registrants to transfer a number to someone else, see below. There will be absolutely no refunds or transfers on accouterment items such as bus tickets or extra meal tickets.
- Transfer policy: Transfers are allowed until Thursday, May 10, 2018. The registered rider sells their spot directly to the new rider. Once completed contact Katie Jordan, with details. A $30 transfer fee is charged to the new rider as they get registered.
- Online registration closes at 12 pm EST on Saturday, May 12, 2018, or when sold out. There is no mail-in registration.
- Problems or Questions? Please contact Katie Jordan, Director of The Assaults: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rider/Bicycle Transportation for Marion Riders
- Option 1 (Free): Family member or friend picks you up from Tom Johnson Campground after the ride (Marion, NC)
- Option 2 ($30): Take “Monday regular bus” from Marion, NC to Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium where you may leave your car or be picked up by family/friends after the ride.
- Your bike will be put on a separate truck and transported to the auditorium. No exceptions.
- Option 3 ($30 bus ticket + $5 parking ticket): “Sunday car drop-off bus”
- On Sunday, May 14, there will be a service bus from Tom Johnson Campground in Marion, NC, to Spartanburg, so you can leave your vehicle at Tom Johnson Campground overnight. The bus will depart from Tom Johnson Campground at 4:00 p.m. (Note: Bikes will not be allowed on these services buses. You must make separate arrangements to transport your bike to Spartanburg.)
- Purchase bus ticket during registration, then you will pay a $5 parking fee directly to Tom Johnson Campground and park in a designated area when you arrive on Sunday, May 13. Parking closes at 6 p.m.!
Important to note: No refunds will be issued for any bus tickets. Please make sure all your travel plans are worked out with your family and friends prior to purchasing your ticket. You may purchase bus tickets any time during or after you register.