Assault on Mt. Mitchell
About Assault on Mt. Mitchell
The Assault on Mt. Mitchell is a 102.7-mile self-paced ride, not race, from Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium in downtown Spartanburg, South Carolina, along the Blue Ridge Parkway, to the summit at Mt. Mitchell State Park in North Carolina—a total vertical ascent of more than 10,000 feet.
With 10 rest stops along the way, you will be able to refill, refuel, and make mechanical adjustments as needed.
- Cost: $135
- Packet pick–up will take place on Sunday May 15, 2016 from 1:00 PM – 8:00 PM at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. You will be able to drop off a small dry clothes bag during Packet pick-up that will be transported to Mt. Mitchell.
- Race Start will be Monday May 16th, 2016 at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, 385 North Church Street at 6:30am, sharp!
- Route: An interactive cue sheet is available on Ride with GPS.
- Parking: Parking is available in the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium lot.
- Rest Stops: Riders along the route are supported with 10 rest stops that offer food, beverage, first aid kits and toilets. Please reference the Cue Sheet for specific locations and note that stop #5, the finish for Marion riders, is a self-service water and snack stop.
- SAG & Tech Support: SAG and Tech volunteers are available along the route to provide assistance for riders. Not all volunteers have experience with bike repair but will work to get your assistance. Vehicles typically carry a cell phone, tubes, air and minor first aid kits. There will be bike techs along the route, but they may not be stationed where you break down and are not guaranteed to have the exact items you may need. If you need special chains, tubes etc. be sure to carry them with you. Cell phone service may be sporadic in areas. Please come prepared.
- Post Ride: Upon finishing, riders will have access to food and beverage and changing stations. Buses will transport riders off the Mountain to the Tom Johnson Campground to enjoy post-ride festivities and further final destination transport options.
- Refunds: We cannot offer refunds or credit a registration fee towards next year’s event, no exceptions. However, it is possible for registrants to transfer a number to someone else, see below. There will be absolutely no refunds or transfers on accouterment items such as bus tickets or extra meal tickets.
- Transfer policy: Transfers are allowed until Thursday, May 12, 2016. The registered rider sells their spot directly to the new rider. Once completed contact Katie Jordan, with details. A $30 transfer fee is charged to the new rider as they get registered.
- Online registration closes at 12pm, EST on Saturday, May 14, 2016 or when sold out. There is no mail-in registration.
- Problems or Questions? Please contact Katie Jordan, Director of The Assaults:
Rider/Bicycle Transportation for Mt. Mitchell Riders
The Assault on Mt. Mitchell is a point A to point B ride, not a loop, and no personal vehicles are allowed on the Parkway or Summit. Therefore, the ride holds a difficult degree of logistical planning to get riders off of Mt. Mitchell, safely and back to Marion, NC.
The Assault on Mt. Mitchell registration includes transportation from the finish line in Mt. Mitchell State Park to Tom Johnson Campground (Marion, NC). This bus ride is, on average, 30 minutes long and does not stop for restroom breaks.
Absolutely no personal vehicles are allowed on Mt. Mitchell – all riders MUST be transported off the mountain via bus. This a policy set forth by the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mt. Mitchell State Park that we must adhere to.
- Option 1 (Free): Family member or friend picks up rider from Tom Johnson Campground after being bussed off the mountain (Marion, NC)
- Bikes will be put on a separate truck and transported to the Tom Johnson Campground. No exceptions.
- Option 2 ($75 – New lower price!): Direct return bus for those who wish to leave Mt. Mitchell and be transported directly to Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium.
- Buses will leave promptly at 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. from Mt. Mitchell. If registering for this option, you must finish your ride within 7 or 8.5 hours.
- Box lunch will be provided on the bus, and the bus will make a stop for restroom break.
- Space is limited for this three-hour bus ride.
- No refunds will be issued if you are unable to board the 4:00 p.m. bus. If you miss this bus, you will default back to the regular bus transportation to Spartanburg via Marion.
- Bike will be transported via truck to Spartanburg. You may have to wait on your bike in Spartanburg depending on where it is in the loading and truck queue departure line. Bikes cannot be transported on the bus.
- Option 3 ($30): Monday regular bus from Marion, NC to Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium after the ride
- Bike will be put on a separate truck and transported to the auditorium. No exceptions.
- Option 4 ($30 bus ticket + $5 parking ticket): Sunday car drop-off bus
- On Sunday, May 15, there will be a service bus from Marion to Spartanburg, so you can leave your vehicle at Tom Johnson Campground overnight. A bus will depart the campground at 4:00 p.m. to transport riders from Marion to the Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg (Note: bikes will not be allowed on these services buses. You will have to make separate arrangements to transport your bike to Spartanburg).
- Purchase bus ticket during registration, then you will pay a $5 parking fee directly to Tom Johnson Campground and park in a designated area when you arrive on Sunday, May 15.
*Important to note: No refunds will be issued for any bus tickets. Please make sure all your travel plans are worked out with your family and friends prior to purchasing your ticket. You may purchase bus tickets any time during or after you register.