Assault on Mt. Mitchell
The Assault on Mt. Mitchell is Sold Out. Register Today for the Assault on Marion.
The Assault on Mt Mitchell is SOLD OUT for 2019. We invite you to ride Marion the shorter, 74-mile part of the Assaults route that ends at Rest Stop #5. We are currently offering a rider special for Marion Riders — ALL 2019 MARION registrants will have the opportunity to register early, before general registration opens, for the 2020 Mt Mtichell ride. Registration for Marion is currently open. Please click here to register today and secure your spot to register early for Mt. Mitchell in 2020.
About Assault on Mt. Mitchell
The Assault on Mt. Mitchell is a 102.7-mile self-paced ride from Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium in downtown Spartanburg, South Carolina, along the Blue Ridge Parkway, to the summit at Mt. Mitchell State Park in North Carolina—a total vertical ascent of more than 10,000 feet.
With 10 rest stops along the way, you will be able to refill, refuel, and make mechanical adjustments as needed.
The 44th Assaults on Mt. Mitchell presented by Prisma Health will be on Monday, May 20, 2019.
NEW FOR 2019: Updated Time Limit + Checkpoints!
The 44th Assaults on Mt. Mitchell presented by Prisma Health will have a 5:30 p.m. event stop time.
All cyclists must be on the Blue Ridge Parkway by 2:30 p.m.
All cyclists must be at the Mt. Mitchell Parkway (rest stop #9) by 4:30 p.m.
All riders must cross the finish line by 5:30 p.m.
All riders not at the aforementioned checkpoints or finish line by the times noted above will be picked up by an official event vehicle along the course and driven to the finish line or back to Marion.
- Cost: SOLD OUT!
- Transfers: If those signed up are unable to participate, you may transfer your registration to another rider. To transfer registration, click ‘Edit’ under your entry and choose ‘Transfer Registration.’ Here, you will be prompted to enter in the email address of the person receiving the transfer and click the button again. The person receiving the transfer will need to go through the checkout process to receive the transferred registration. Head over to the Assault’s Facebook event page to find riders who are looking for a transfer. Note, it is up to the individual parties to set and collect any amount outside the $30 transfer fee paid through Bike Reg.
- Packet pick-up will take place on Sunday, May 19, 2019, from 1:00 PM – 8:00 PM at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. You will be able to drop off a small dry clothes bag during Packet pick-up that will be transported to Mt. Mitchell. On the morning of the ride we will offer packet pick up from 5:30 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. Cyclists can also drop a dry clothes bag off at that time until about 6:15 a.m. when the trucks are locked up.
- Ride Start will be Monday, May 20, 2019, at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, 385 North Church Street at 6:30 a.m., sharp!
- Route: An interactive cue sheet is available on Ride with GPS.
- Parking: Parking is available in the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium lot.
- Rest Stops: Riders along the route are supported with 10 rest stops that offer food, beverage, first aid kits and toilets. Please reference the Cue Sheet for specific locations.
- SAG & Tech Support: SAG and Tech volunteers are available along the route to provide assistance for riders. Not all volunteers have experience with bike repair but will work to get you assistance. Vehicles typically carry a cell phone, tubes, air and minor first aid kits. There will be bike techs along the route, but they may not be stationed where you break down and are not guaranteed to have the exact items you may need. If you need special chains, tubes etc. be sure to carry them with you. Cell phone service may be sporadic in areas. Please come prepared.
- Post Ride: Upon finishing, riders will have access to food and beverage and changing stations. Buses will transport riders off the Mountain to the Tom Johnson Campground to enjoy post-ride festivities and further final destination transport options.
- Refunds: We cannot offer refunds or credit a registration fee towards next year’s event, no exceptions. However, it is possible for registrants to transfer a number to someone else, see below. There will be absolutely no refunds or transfers on accouterment items such as bus tickets or extra meal tickets.
- Transfer policy: Transfers are allowed until Thursday, May 16, 2019. The registered rider sells their spot directly to the new rider. Once completed contact Katie Jordan, with details. A $30 transfer fee is charged to the new rider as they get registered.
- Online registration closes FRIDAY, MAY 17 at 5 p.m. In-person registration is available at packet pick up on Sunday, May 20 from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Rest Stop 5/ Tom Johnson Campground: 373 Resistoflex Rd., Marion, NC 28752
Rider/Bike Transport Options
The Assault on Mt. Mitchell is a point A to point B ride, not a loop, and no personal vehicles are allowed on the Parkway or Summit. Therefore, the ride holds a difficult degree of logistical planning to get riders off of Mt. Mitchell, safely and back to Marion, NC.
The Assault on Mt. Mitchell registration includes transportation from the finish line in Mt. Mitchell State Park to Tom Johnson Campground (Marion, NC). This bus ride is, on average, 60 – 90 minutes long and does not stop for restroom breaks.
Absolutely no personal vehicles are allowed on Mt. Mitchell – all riders MUST be transported off the mountain via bus. This a policy set forth by the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mt. Mitchell State Park that we must adhere to. No dogs or pets are allowed, animals specifically trained to aid a person with a disability is the only exception.
- Option 1 (Free): Family member or friend picks up rider from Tom Johnson Campground after being bussed off the mountain (Marion, NC)
- Bikes will be put on a separate truck and transported to the Tom Johnson Campground. No exceptions.
- Option 2 ($75): Direct return bus for those who wish to leave Mt. Mitchell and be transported directly to Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium.
- Buses will leave promptly at 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. from Mt. Mitchell. If registering for this option, you must finish your ride within 7 or 8.5 hours.
- Box lunch will be provided on the bus, and the bus will make a stop for a restroom break.
- Space is limited for this three-hour bus ride.
- No refunds will be issued if you are unable to board the 4:00 p.m. bus. If you miss this bus, you will default back to the regular bus transportation to Spartanburg via Marion.
- Your bike will be transported via truck to Spartanburg. You may have to wait on your bike in Spartanburg depending on where it is in the loading and truck queue departure line. Bikes cannot be transported on the bus.
- Option 3 ($30): Monday regular bus – After being bused from Mitchell to the Tom Johnson Campground and enjoy lunch you will board a bus to the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium.
- Your bike will be put on a separate truck and transported to the auditorium. No exceptions.
- Option 4 ($30 bus ticket + $5 parking ticket): Sunday car drop-off bus
- On Sunday, before the ride, there will be a service bus from Marion to Spartanburg, so you can leave your vehicle at Tom Johnson Campground overnight. A bus will depart the campground at 4 p.m. to transport riders from Marion to the Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg (Note: Bikes will not be allowed on these services buses. You will have to make separate arrangements to transport your bike to Spartanburg).
- Purchase bus ticket during registration, then you will pay a $5 parking fee directly to Tom Johnson Campground and park in a designated area when you arrive on Sunday, May 19. Parking closes at 6 p.m.
- Rest Stop 5/ Tom Johnson Campground: 373 Resistoflex Rd., Marion, NC 28752
*Important to note: No refunds will be issued for any bus tickets. Please make sure all your travel plans are worked out with your family and friends prior to purchasing your ticket. You may purchase bus tickets any time during or after you register.
** Please note that this is a long day with many moving parts. Please plan with a little wiggle room.